INTRODUCTION TO JUDAISM
Candler School of Theology Fall, 2003
M 6:30 - 9:30 BH 212
Professor David R. Blumenthal (7-7545; 404-634-3833; <email@example.com>)
The purpose of this course is to provide students for the Christian ministry and education with a historical, theological, and practical introduction to Judaism and the Jewish community. Accordingly, the course is divided into four parts: the secular forms of Jewish identity, the religious forms of Jewish identity, the holocaust as the formative trauma of contemporary Jewish life, and A. J. Heschel as a representative Jewish theologian.
- Bible (any translation).
- H. Wouk, This Is My God
- E. Wiesel, Night
- L. Dawidowicz, The War Against the Jews
- A. J. Heschel, God in Search of Man
- A Theological Understanding of the Relationship between Christians and Jews, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) - will be distributed
Recommended texts; also placed on reserve:
- S. Dubnow, Nationalism and History
- A. Hertzberg, The Zionist Idea
- E. Evans, The Provincials
- A. J. Heschel, Who Is Man?
- No prerequisites.
- The teaching method is discussion; students will have to prepare all readings.
- There will also be a field trip.
Final exam: Take home, choice of questions, short essay.
Secular Jewish Identity
- Diaspora Nationalism -- Sept. 8
- Dubnow, 76-99
- Zionism -- Sept. 15
- Hertzberg, 182-8, 204-26, 316-27, 409-15
- The Atlanta Jewish Federation (guest lecture) -- Sept. 22
- Woocher articles on reserve
Religious Jewish Identity
- Traditional and Liberal Forms of Judaism -- Sept. 29
(Oct. 6 -- Yom Kippur -- no class)
- Field Trip to a Synagogue -- Oct. 13
The Holocaust as Formative of Contemporary Jewish Identity
- The Horror -- Oct. 20
- film: "Night and Fog"
- Popular Jewish Responses &endash; Oct. 27
- The Presbyterian Documents (A Theological Understanding...)
- "Weapons of the Spirit" (film) -- Nov. 10
- Religious Experience and Language -- Nov. 17
- Heschel, Part One
- Revelation and the Biblical Text -- Nov. 24
- Heschel, Part Two
- Deed and Religious Praxis &endash; Dec. 1
- Heschel, Part Three
Final Exam Due --
return to head of document
return to index of Selected Syllabi
David Blumenthal's HomePage